Saturday, February 26, 2011

New and Improved Haircomb

So, I wasn't happy with the pointy sides of my haircomb. 

And I was confused about how to fix it and still have a flounce!  Before I came to my senses, I thought maybe I would need to do a gathered ruffle.  Here's my muslin version of that:
I didn't like it. I like flounces, and I'm not a huge fan of other kinds of ruffles.  This was reinforced by the ruffle above.

Luckily, I came to my senses and put together 2+2.  For months, I've been reading about pattern adjustments and pattern drafting.  At this point, I've still done very little of it, and so I think that's why the answer didn't occur to me sooner.  What I needed to do (and have now done), is draw the shape I want in the end, and use the slash-and-spread method to turn that into an appropriately shaped flounce.  Here's my pattern with the slash lines.  The taller one is for the veiling, and the shorter one is for the organza. 

I slashed and then decided whether I would use the circular edge of my coffee cup, coffee can, cocoa can, or a pot lid as the curve for the flounce.  I chose the cocoa can.

I used my French curves to even things out before I cut the muslin patterns.

When I cut the organza I added a 1/8 inch seam allowance.  I sewed 80% of the way around, turned it inside out, pressed, then folded in the seam allowances and topstitched along the bottom edge of the flounce.then I stitched it all to the comb and Voila!

I like this one a lot better! 

No comments: