Monday, September 27, 2010

A Sewing Post! Grey Dress - The Jacket

Well, so I have been sewing.  I am making a silver and dark silver formal dress using silk crepe de chine underlined with silk organza (jacket and bodice) or silk crepe de chine (skirt) and lined with silk crepe de chine (jacket and bodice). With the luxury fabrics go a lot of detailed handwork, which I view as good practice for my wedding gown.  Going into this project, I was not confident at my ability to control the flowy crepe de chine, but it has turned out to be pretty reasonable.  I think the muslin pattern helps a lot, the not too slippery surface of my table pads, and lots and lots of pins (but only in the seam allowances!).  Anyway, here are some photos of the jacket:

My pattern.  Here is the link to the source for this image: B5136




This is the inside of the jacket.
The button loops and buttons
I used a draw stitch, a type of slip stitch, to seam the sides of the abutted pieces of the lining.
I understitched the entire edge of the lining using a prick stitch to make it prettier than the suggested half backstitch.

 The handwork took a lot more time than I expected.  I did a lot of overcasting and catch stitching on the insides of these pieces, but not all the seam allowances, I decided to save a bit of time.  I think it turned out great!  The fabric is much prettier in the finished jacket than just the cut piece, the light hitting it creates a beautiful effect.

No comments: