Monday, August 2, 2010

Cakes

Okay, so for a potentially hot and humid wedding, or even just a hot and humid bakery setting (air conditioning is not ubiquitous in Puerto Rico), buttercream and cream cheese frostings are apparently not the way to go.  The icing that holds up best in heat and humidity is fondant.  The problems are that fondant doesn't taste good and it costs more.  Since the cake is not that imporant to my fiance or myself, I am NOT going to have fondant on our cake (the capital letters are due to the fact that I feel like I am going to have to go a bit bridezilla on this with our location and baker, as they seem to think that if the cake doesn't have fondant, it won't be a wedding cake.  In my opinion, however, I would rather have a plate of cookies than a cake with fondant.  If we have to have fondant, then we are NOT having a cake).  Okay, with that said, here are some pictures of cakes without icings that I really like!  My favorite is the cake with the different colored layers.  The mini-angel food cake, rum cake, and layer cakes are all from MarthaStewartWeddings.com.  The strawberry shortcake photo is from norasweddingblog.com (an Iowa wedding, no less!). 


  

No comments: