Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hemming Finished!

This will be a short post, but the hems are all finished.  I finished the dress hem on Friday, the lining hem Saturday, and the overdress hem today (Sunday).  I ended up having to do a hand-rolled hem on the lining because the seam allowance on one of the pieces was too short for anything else.  But, I got some practice doing the hand-rolled hem before starting on the overdress.

So, all that's left now is pressing, cleaning up any stray threads, and putting on the petals and pearls.  I wonder how far I'll get by tomorrow evening.  Gotta get back to it!

Perhaps at some point I will make some drawings or tutorials for left-handed sewing.  A lot of little things are different, and there might be some people out there who would appreciate having one less thing to worry about when they're learning a new technique.  Let me know if this is of interest to you!

A few photos with the finished hem!
You can see I didn't button all the buttons, but that's okay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! It looks absolutely beautiful! Amazing how much time you've been able and willing to invest in it. Great that it turned out to look like a professional job!
Ray

Anonymous said...

Your dress is beautiful, such talent!
Have “fun” at your wedding and have a Happy Life!
How in the world do you find time to do all that you do and still work full time? Youth is one answer and the other is an incredible amount of talent.
I use to work with your Dad – he is so very proud of his family!
Happy Day - :)

IowaHoodlum said...

Hi Dad (Ray :-)! Thanks! Now that it's pretty much finished, I'm a little in awe of just how much time I spent on it. I'm pretty sure I won't spend that much time on a sewing project ever again!

Thanks,also, former coworker of my dad! :-) I am not sure how I found the time to do it. It was definitely like working two+ full time jobs. I had no social life and didn't cook or do a great job of housekeeping, that's for sure! I'm going to be happy to get back to a more normal swing of things.

I've learned a lot through this whole process, and that is an understatement.