Sunday, February 6, 2011

0H 5H1T!!

Well, I've been fearing discovery of a big mistake, and today my fear has been fulfilled!  I was so excited about fitting my dress today (it wasn't exactly schedule, but now its cancelled) that I tried it on, hooked the waist stay (success!  it holds up the dress well) and it was soon obvious that the extra room in the bust was going to be a problem. 

Don't panic, it's going to be okay.  I am going to fix it today, even if I have to stay up, uh, late.

So here's the deal: when I had my first fitting, I discovered that there was too much room in my bust in the foundation.  So I marked to to fix and went on with the fitting.  I did not, however, realize during the rest of the fitting, and all the weeks and more of work that ensued, that I also needed to fix the lining, the dress, and the overdress. 

Yes, that's right: I now have to take out almost a cup size from the bust of the lining, the dress, and the overdress.

Whoa, uh-oh!

I've already attached at the top edge, and I don't want to undo that, because there would be a very good chance that I would see old stitch marks in the final dress.  So, I started to undo the catch-stitching and seaming over the bust. I took out my muslin pieces and marked out the change (to make it so I don't need to change the top seam or below the bust (the tad bit of extra ease below the bust is probably an inadvertent fix of a problem I might have had of the dress being too tight on the mid-torso).  I undid the top seam on the center front piece because that seam will now be shifted due to the shorter bust line.  I've been carefully picking out the seams and tying knots in the threads to prevent them from coming out more than I want.  I've redone the staystitching on the center front of the lining and basted the seam lines on the side front lining pieces.  Now to baste the seams and sew.  I'm going to wait to finish the seam allowances until I've at least fixed all the seams. 

I've had to take some deep breaths this morning.  I could easily have lost it, and if I could think of any alternative other than keeping my cool, being logical, and acting on a plan, I probably would have taken it.  But, if I'm going to have the dress I want, at this point, my only option is to fix the problem.  At least it can be fixed!  At least I am taking in seams and not having to let them out. 

It will be okay!

No comments: