Saturday, September 18, 2010

Meet Sofia! My New Sewing Machine!

My mom wanted to get me a new sewing machine, and after writing a review of my old one, I decided to take her up on her offer.  My old machine was a White 2037.  Here is what I had  say about it:

 Features
    * One step buttonhole
    * Drop-In bobbin
    * Free Arm
    * Adjustable Stitch Length and Width
    * Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure
    * Adjustable Needle Position

What Iowa Hoodlum likes about this machine
I was just reading all the other reviews for this machine, and my experience with it falls in line with the other reviewers' experiences. What I like about this machine is that it was cheap, not so light as for me to fear for it wiggling around on my table, all of the accessories, and the surprisingly helpful video (I hadn't sewed in a long time when I bought the machine). It was also easy to buy....I am shy and (almost) of the internet generation and the idea of going to a dealer and actually talking about a purchase like this or --god forbid-- negotiating, makes me nervous. For my White, I just went into a Joann's and picked it up off the sale shelf and went home with it. Another thing I like about the machine is that it is character-building. It is continually teaching me lessons in patience. :-) With that in mind, I will say that it is relatively straightforward to remove the top plate and bobbin case for cleaning, adjusting the bobbin tension (necessary on this machine, sadly), and general trying-to-understand-why-the-thread-gets-stuck-in-there-so-much.

EDITED: I forgot to say why I put "maybe" instead of "no" on the "would you recommend it" question. If someone gives it to you and you need a machine for free and you know it works, take it. Especially if you are handy and patient. Definitely don't buy it in a store or anywhere else for that matter, because there appear to be many, many better options for the same price--whatever that price happens to be. :-)

What Iowa Hoodlum does not like about this machine
There are a few things I don't like about this machine. Primary among them is how difficult it is to regulate the stitching speed using the foot pedal. Now, I am not heavy-footed, I am a dancer and piano player. The second thing I don't like is how frequently the top thread gets all wound up in the bobbin case. That just reminded me, the bobbin type is not listed ANYWHERE on the machine or in the manual, how silly is that? I have since discovered that it is not the bobbin causing the problem, but still, figuring out what kind of bobbin to use was a bit of a pain.

I can only use small size spools of thread in this machine, and I cannot sew at full speed. Either one causes thread breakage and major knots in the bobbin case.

My new machine is a cute and feature-dense BabyLock Sofia.  I'll post some photos in the next day or so.  Here is what I have to say about it so far:

Features
    * Computerized
    * Needle Threader
    * Needle Up/Down Setting
    * Embroidery Stitches
    * One step buttonhole
    * Drop-In bobbin
    * Free Arm
    * Adjustable Stitch Length and Width
    * Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure
    * Adjustable Needle Position
    * Embroidery Machine

What Iowa Hoodlum likes about this machine
Well, I just got this today, so I'm so happy with how much easier this machine is than my previous one. There are a lot of little features that make things easier:
--a little thread cutter on the bobbin winder so you don't have to hold the end out of the way when beginning and then trim it later, it does it for you.
--the needle threader is so easy I actually use it
--the drop-in bobbin and mechanism that makes it unnecessary to pull up the bobbin thread is awesome.
--the adjustable speed is great, as are the up/down and sew/stop buttons.
--it's nice that you can remove the foot pedal entirely
--I haven't had a single broken thread or mess in the bobbin case yet!
--it warns you when your bobbin is getting low.

This is just what I've been loving so far. I haven't tried any of the embroidery or other stitches, presser feet, or other accessories. Can't wait! I'll report back.

Also, it's cute as heck! And I can still hear the TV when I'm sewing. For the price, it has an awful lot of features. Exactly what I was looking for! The new Sofia-2s are out now, but since I have a bitty laptop, I don't need the USB feature. A cord to my computer is almost as easy and so I spent the extra $$ on embroidery thread. A lot of embroidery thread. :-)

What Iowa Hoodlum does not like about this machine
It's already named. So I don't get to name it. :-) This machine defaults to a left needle position, which is new to me. It took my no time at all to get used to it. The presser foot lift is on the right instead of the back. My old machine was the same way, so also not a big deal.

Here are some photos!

No comments: