Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Post-fitting adjustments to foundation Part II - 7/13/2010


All right, so today I experimented just a bit with my foundation.  I'm pretty happy with where this is going at the moment, I added boning in the center front and an underwire on the left side.  I will go ahead and add the right side.  The problem I'm having is that when it's on, the point where all the boning meets in the center is not laying flat against my body, as it does in the bustiers I own.  The problem, as far as I can tell, is that there is not enough fabric in the top center.  I am thinking at the moment that I will have to cut the center front piece down the center and add fabric at the top.  I would make the neckline more like a normal bustier, except that I need to seam it with the lining and dress at some point, so the fabric needs to be there.

I am also thinking that I might try to straighten out the seam lines between the center front and side front pieces.  If you're curious what I'm talking about, look at these seams near the top edge in some of the angle photos in the previous post. After I corrected the bust size, those seams seem to veer off towards my armpits instead of continuing straight up from my apexes (Yes, I know that plural makes some of you cringe.  It makes me cringe, too, but it's technically correct and I don't know how to spell the cringe-free version). 

The top photo above shows my cat and how well the underwire shapes the garment even when there's nothing behind it, and in the bottom photo, I've but my tailor's ham where a bust would normally be.  :-)  You can see that the underwire also allows me to remove boning over the bust, but I will have to be careful that the dress doesn't start pulling as a result.  Well, one step at a time!

No comments: