Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My pearls

May 26, 2010

Okay, here is a picture of the pearl necklace I made. It's a bit of a cheat, because I didn't have my clasp yet. I'll post a picture of that soon (it's finished, really). Got the pearls on the "bead block" in NYC. I left Penn Station thinking I was heading to the garment district for my pearls, but discovered the bead block on my way. AMAZING prices on pearls. The Toho Shoji bead shop is pretty amazing, too. Then I spent a whole bunch of $$$ on ribbons at M&J trimmings. Including a $60 length of ostrich feather ribbon. I'm going to make feather tulips out of that for my bouquet.

I had to learn how to do a 6-strand round braid for this necklace. It has 7 stands, but odd-numbered braids are flat, while even numbered braids are round. Go figure. I learn something new every day.  If you're curious, here is a site that explains braids: http://www.stringpage.com/braid/medbraids/medbraids.html.

No comments: